TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
34 people found this useful

How do I import or enter my W-2?

This year we've made importing your W-2 info into TurboTax easier than ever before! You can import your W-2 info directly from your employer.

  • To use the import feature, your employer needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner. We’ll determine this by the EIN (Employer Identification Number) you enter.

If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's EIN for any reason, you can snap a photo of your W-2 using the TurboTax Mobile App (see Related Information below).

Of course, you can always choose to manually enter the information from your W-2 into TurboTax.

Let's import your W-2!

  1. Open your return in TurboTax. 
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Using the search feature in the upper right, search for "w-2" (lower case, with or without the dash) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. W-2 screen will open. On this screen you can add, edit or delete a W-2 as necessary.
  4. Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, and click Continue.

(If you are accessing TurboTax Online on your mobile phone through a web browser, rather than from a computer, you will have the option to snap a photo without using the TurboTax Mobile App.)

Or you can manually enter your W-2:

If you don't have your employer's EIN or would prefer to skip the import options, you can always manually enter the info from your W-2 instead. Here's how:

  • Follow Steps 1-3 above. At Step 4, if you can't import your W-2, or if you click Continue without entering the EIN, you will come to the W-2 screen where you can manually enter your information. Go ahead and enter the info from your W-2 in the appropriate boxes.


Requirements to successfully import your W-2 directly from your employer

  • Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (we determine this by your employer's EIN)
  • Your W-2 must be available for import – most are ready by February 1, and some are disabled after the April filing deadline
  • We'll need the Box 1 amount from your W-2
  • You can also use the YTD (Year to Date) gross income from your year-end paystub. More info
  • In some cases, we'll need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires this for the import (not all of them do).