E-file reject R0000-504-02: The name or Social Security number for a dependent on your return doesn't match IRS records
This rejection can occur when a dependent's name or Social Security number has been entered incorrectly.
Less commonly, this rejection can be caused by a mismatch with the IRS database, or if the dependent's Social Security number was issued late last year.
Gather the Social Security cards for all dependents on your return and then follow the solution steps below.
Follow these steps to make sure your dependent's info has been entered correctly. Their name and Social Security number should match what's on their Social Security card. See also Helpful Tips, below.
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s). Click Continue.
- At the Rejected message, click Help Me Fix It.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error and re-file your return.
- If your dependent's name has recently changed, and the new name won't go through, try their former name (or vice-versa).
- For multiple middle names, use the initial for the first middle name only (for example, John E. W. Doe should be entered as John E Doe in TurboTax).
- Hyphenated last names go into the Last name field in their entirety.
- Generally, with nonhyphenated multiple last names, the very last name goes into the Last name field, for example:
- Richard L. Brown Roe should be entered as Richard L. Roe
- Richard (no middle initial) Brown Roe should be entered as Richard (no middle initial) Roe
It could be that the info in the IRS database is incorrect or your dependent isn't in their database yet.
Keep following the onscreen instructions and we'll help you file your return by mail. You won't be able to e-file even though your information was entered correctly.
Tip: To prevent this rejection next year, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records (this is where the IRS database pulls from). If the info is wrong, please allow 4–6 weeks for correction.