TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
4 people found this useful

How do I access my password protected TurboTax Desktop file if I forgot the password?

TurboTax offers the ability to password protect your Tax files on both the Windows and Mac platforms.

Should you forget the password here are a few ways you can attempt to recover access to your file.

Things to try to gain access to the file.

PC – What do I do?  Simply click "Forgot Password" in the password request pop-up to answer your security question. That will get you back in.

Once you're back in, you can select "Password" from the File menu if you want to update or remove your password altogether.

Mac not using Keychain –  What do I do?  If you have not given TurboTax "Keychain" access, you can simply click "Forgot Password" in the password request pop-up to answer your security question. That'll get you back in.   Once you're back in, you can select "Password Encrypt" from the File menu if you want to update or remove your password altogether.

Mac using Keychain – What do I do? In some rare cases if you have given Keychain access to TurboTax, you can go to Applications > Other > Keychain access> Keychains> Login> Category >Passwords> find Intuit or TurboTax and right click > Get Info > Attributes> click on Show Password > You will be prompted for the Mac Password and it will show you the password you used to encrypt your TurboTax file. This is not a guarantee to get you into the file.

Disclaimer

**Password protection of TurboTax Desktop files is set by the user.

Should the password and answer to the security question be forgotten and Keychain access for Mac users has not been granted,

TurboTax will not be able to assist in unlocking the file or removing the encryption. The user will need to start over in a new file.**

SLN98258