TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
7382 people found this useful

E-file reject FW2-502: The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records

This rejection can occur if you mistyped your employer's name or EIN when you manually entered your W-2. It can also happen if your W-2 is incorrect or if your employer's info in the IRS database is wrong.

Here's what to do:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return
  2. At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, select Fix It Now.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error. The employer name and EIN in TurboTax must exactly match the information in boxes b and c on your W-2 form.
  4. When finished, keep following the instructions to re-file your return.

Alternative instructions

You can also go directly to the W-2 screen to make your corrections:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. Search for W-2 and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Select Edit next to the W-2 in question.
  4. Compare the information in boxes b and c on the W-2 screen with your W-2 form. The employer name and EIN must match exactly.
  5. Make any corrections, then select Continue.
  6. Select File in the left-hand menu (on mobile devices, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then select File).
  7. At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Do not select Fix my return, you've already done that).
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.

My employer's info is correct, but my return keeps getting rejected. Why?

It's very likely that your employer's data at the IRS is wrong. In this case, you will have to print and mail a conventional paper return. The IRS won't accept your e-file if your employer's EIN doesn't match what's in their database.

Another, less likely possibility is that the EIN printed on your W-2 form is wrong. Contact your employer's payroll department for the correct EIN and ask them to send you a corrected W-2 (W-2C) for your records.

A third possibility is that the employer's name on the W-2 doesn't match the IRS database for that EIN. For example, your W-2 says IBM but the IRS database says International Business Machines or your W-2 says UCLA but the IRS database has it as University of California, Los Angeles.

SLN98215
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L3QcdDV2H_US_en_US