TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1565 people found this useful

E-file reject FW2-502: The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records

This rejection can occur if you mistyped your employer's name or their EIN when you entered your W-2.

Other, less common reasons for this rejection:

  • Your W-2 form is incorrect
  • Your employer's info in the IRS database is wrong

Grab your W-2 forms and then follow the solution steps below.


  1. Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
    • Click or tap any orange "Fix" buttons you see before proceeding to the next step.
  2. At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, click or tap Fix It Now.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error and re-file your return.
    • Important: The employer name and EIN in TurboTax must exactly match the info in boxes b and c on your W-2 form.

Alternative Solution

You can also go directly to the W-2 screen to make your corrections:

  1. Open your return if it's not already open.
    • Click or tap any orange "Fix" buttons you see and make sure you've gone past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
  2. Search for W-2 and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Click or tap Edit next to the W-2 in question.
  4. Compare the info in boxes b and c on the W-2 screen with your W-2 form.
    • Important: The employer name and EIN must match exactly.
  5. Make any corrections, then click or tap Continue at the bottom.
  6. Click File in the upper-right area (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).
  7. At the Welcome back screen, click or tap Continue. Do not select "Fix my return" (you've already done that).
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process.

My EIN is correct, but my return keeps getting rejected. Why?

It's very likely that your employer's data at the IRS is wrong. In this case, you will have to print and mail a conventional paper return. The IRS won't accept your e-file if your employer's EIN doesn't match what's in their database.

Another, less likely possibility is that the EIN printed on your W-2 form is wrong. Contact your employer's payroll department for the correct EIN and ask them to send you a corrected W-2 (W-2C) for your records.

A third possibility is that the employer's name doesn't match the IRS database for that particular EIN. For example, if you entered "IBM" instead of "International Business Machines" or "UCLA" instead of "University of California, Los Angeles."