E-file reject FW2-502: The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records
This rejection can occur if you mistyped your employer's name or their EIN when you entered your W-2.
Other, less common reasons for this rejection:
- Your W-2 form is incorrect
- Your employer's info in the IRS database is wrong
Grab your W-2 forms and then:
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s). Click Continue.
- At the Rejected message, click Help Me Fix It.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error and re-file your return.
- Important: The employer name and EIN in TurboTax must exactly match the info in boxes b and c on your W-2 form.
But what if I entered my W-2 correctly the first time?
It's very likely that your employer's data at the IRS is wrong. In this case, you will have to print and mail a conventional paper return. The IRS won't accept your e-file if your employer's name or EIN doesn't match what's in their database.
Another, less likely possibility is that the info on your W-2 form is wrong. If this is the case, your co-workers will also get this rejection when they try to e-file. Contact your employer's payroll department for the correct info and ask them to send you a corrected W-2 (W-2C) for your records.