E-file reject FW2-502: The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records
This rejection can occur if you mistyped your employer's name or EIN when you manually entered your W-2. It can also happen if your W-2 is incorrect or if your employer's info in the IRS database is wrong.
Grab your W-2 forms and then:
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s). Click Continue.
- At the Rejected message, click Help Me Fix It.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error. The employer name and EIN in TurboTax must exactly match the info in boxes b and c on your W-2 form.
- Continue following the onscreen instructions to re-file your return.
But what if I entered my W-2 correctly the first time?
It's very likely that your employer's data at the IRS is wrong. In this case, you will have to print and mail a conventional paper return. The IRS won't accept your e-file if your employer's EIN doesn't match what's in their database.
Another, less likely possibility is that the EIN printed on your W-2 form is wrong. Contact your employer's payroll department for the correct EIN and ask them to send you a corrected W-2 (W-2C) for your records.
A third possibility is that the employer's name on the W-2 doesn't match the IRS database for that EIN. For example, your W-2 says IBM but the IRS database says International Business Machines or your W-2 says UCLA but the IRS database has it as University of California, Los Angeles.