TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1 person found this useful

How do I transfer last year's return in TurboTax Online?

If you used the Federal Free Edition in 2015, you'll need to add PLUS this year so we can transfer your info over.

First, sign in with the same login you used last year.

Now follow the instructions below ("Here's how to add PLUS").

  • If you follow the instructions and don’t see your return from last year (this step occurs prior to paying for PLUS), you're in the wrong account. Use our account recovery tool to help jog your memory if you forgot your login or created multiple accounts and can't remember which one you used.

Here's how to add PLUS.

If you used other tax software last year, or used an accountant or tax service (H&R Block, etc.)

These instructions apply to TurboTax Online only. If you're using the TurboTax mobile app, sign out of the app and sign into TurboTax Online either on a mobile browser, or on a computer.

  • Select the method you used to file last year, and you’ll then have a chance to upload a PDF of that return. Use the onscreen help links if you need to obtain your PDF, or if your filing status (single, married filing jointly, etc.) has changed.
    • The PDF needs to be your 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.
  • The program accepts PDFs from a range of providers but not all of them.
  • After uploading your PDF, you’ll have a chance to update your information from last year’s return.

In certain situations, the program might not accept a PDF, such as when it’s password-protected, a scan of a hard copy rather than an electronic PDF, and certain other cases. If this happens, don’t worry, we’ll guide you through typing in your info.