TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

I need to amend my state return

Locate and open the tax file you need to amend. Before amending, select Online and check for Updates to be sure you have the latest software.

  1. Go to Federal Taxes tab (if using the Home and Business Product, go to the Personal tab) and then select the Other Tax Situations tab.
  2. On the Other Tax Situations screen, scroll down to Other Tax Forms and next to Amend a Return, click Start.
  3. On the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen, click continue.
  4. On the What do you need to change on your return? screen, scroll down to State and click Update

Begin amending your state return with your changes.

Note: The refund meter is reset and may show odd numbers until all of your changes are entered. When you're done with your changes, the refund meter shows any additional amount owed or that should be refunded to you. This amount is in addition to your original payment or refund shown on your originally filed tax return.

When finished you will see a copy of your amended return. Print two copies, one for your files and one to mail in. The refund meter shows your new refund or amount due to be mailed in.

Mail one copy of your amended return to your state address listed on your amend instructions. Processing of amended returns can take several months.