How do I enter a charitable carryover?
If you had unused charitable carryovers on last year's return, and you transferred that return over, you don't have to do a thing – we've already entered that for you.
Otherwise, follow these directions to manually enter your charitable carryover:
Tip: Most qualified charitable organizations are 50% limit organizations, which means you'll enter the carryover on the Enter Your Charitable Carryovers screen. 20% and 30% limit organizations are entered on the following screen, Other Carryovers. More information about 50%, 30%, and 20% limit organizations is available at this IRS webpage.
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- In the search box, type donations and then click Jump to donations in the search results.
- Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity in 2016? (even if the answer is no).
- Answer No when asked if you have an ItsDeductible account (even if the answer is yes).
- Answer No to the question Do you want to enter your donations for 2016?
- If you see Review All Your Charities instead of this question, click Done with Charitable Donations.
- The next screen will say Charitable Carryovers. Answer Yes and Enter Your Charitable Carryovers on the next screen
- Sign into the Turbotax mobile app
- Tap on the orange Take me to my return button.
- Tap the red TurboTax checkmark on the upper left side of the screen.
- Tap on Federal Taxes and then Deductions & Credits.
- Tap Charitable Donations Carryover from 2015.
- Enter Your Charitable Carryovers, swipe right and follow the on screen instructions.