TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
4558 people found this useful

How do I upgrade to PLUS if I already filed my 2016 tax return?

If you're looking for info on last year's AGI, click or tap here instead.

Otherwise, follow these directions to add and pay for PLUS on a Federal Free Edition return you already filed. You'll need your credit or debit card.

TurboTax Online Instructions

First, we need to make sure you’re in the same account (same User ID) that you used when you filed your prior-year (2015 or earlier) return. TurboTax stores all of your prior tax returns in one place, but only if you use the same account to file each year. 

Complete these steps first to validate you are in the correct account

1. Go back into TurboTax, then select My TurboTax in the upper left, and click/tap My Tax Timeline.
  2. On the line that says Looking for prior year returns? click Load my tax timeline.
  3. If you see entries for prior years, click on the arrow (>) next to the tax year you’re looking for. Make sure it says Filed next to the return you are looking for to ensure you are accessing your final filed return. (It will show your federal return and any state return/s you have.) If it says Filed, great! Your prior year returns are in those tabs. 

4. Now to access these return/s (download or print them) and all your other prior year returns, and begin using the other benefits of PLUS you’ll need to first pay for TurboTax. 
    • See below for payment instructions.

If you don’t see the year you’re looking for, or it doesn’t say ‘Filed’ next to the return, STOP – and read the following:

After you locate your account, go ahead and return here and then follow the Payment Instructions below.

Now follow these Payment Instructions

TurboTax mobile app Instructions

First, we need to make sure you’re in the same account (same User ID) that you used when you filed your prior-year return. TurboTax stores all of your prior tax returns in one place, but only if you use the same account to file each year.    

Here’s what to do:

1. Go back into the TurboTax mobile app.
  2. In the prior year you have open in your tax timeline (i.e., 2015), make sure it says Filed next to the return (”Filed federal tax return”). It will also show any state return/s you have. If it says ‘Filed,’ great! Your prior year returns are here and you’re in the right account. 

Now follow these Payment Instructions

GEN88430