How do I access my prior year (2016) return?
If you have access and are in the right TurboTax account, your return from 2016 or earlier is under Your tax returns & documents (select Show, then Download/print return) on the first screen when you sign in.
To get access to your prior year return, you have to upgrade to a paid product (if you haven't already) and pay.
|Before filing your 2017 return||After filing your 2017 return|
|How to upgrade (For Free Edition without PLUS.)||Select Take me to my return (if you haven’t already), then Upgrade in the left-hand menu and choose the product you’d like.||Go to Help, select Contact us, type in Add PLUS Benefits, and Continue.|
|How to pay||Select File in the left-hand menu and continue until you get to Review your order. Then select Start and follow the on-screen instructions.||After upgrading, follow the on-screen instructions to pay. (For Free Edition without PLUS.)|
If you don’t see the option to download/print your prior year return under Your tax returns & documents, you might be in the wrong TurboTax account. The video below can help you figure out what to do if that’s the case.
If you’re only looking to print or access a PDF version of a prior year return that you completed using TurboTax Software (CD/Download), and you saved a PDF version of that return when you originally completed the return, you can search for the PDF on your computer, thumb drive, etc.
To access a prior year return for a different reason (that is, access the full *.tax file - not a PDF, which is an image of your return), you’ll need the TurboTax software (CD/Download) from the year you completed the return. If you don’t have the original CD or download:
- If you originally purchased a CD, you can get a replacement CD (2016, 2015, 2014 or 2013 only).
- If you originally downloaded the TurboTax Software, you can re-download the software (2016, 2015, 2014 or 2013 only).
Once you have installed the software on your computer:
- Select the File menu in the upper left.
- Then, select Print or Save to PDF, depending on what you want to do. There are other options in the File menu as well.
Other ways to access your prior year return outside of TurboTax are:
- Order a free tax return transcript online or by mail from the IRS that has a lot (but not all) of the information from last year’s return (not all people are able to do this).
- Pay the IRS $50 for a copy of your return.