How do I access my prior year (2016) return?
First, make sure you’re in the same TurboTax account as last year. Then, if you haven’t already, you’ll need to upgrade (if you're in Free Edition) and pay for TurboTax before getting access.
- Sign in to your return (past the Take me to my return button).
(Then, Upgrade in the left-hand menu if you haven’t already done so.)
- Select File in the left-hand menu and continue until you get to Review your order.
- Select Start and follow the on-screen instructions to pay for the product you have chosen.
To access your current (if available) or prior year return:
- Sign in to TurboTax using the same login information you used for last year.
- Go to Your tax returns & documents at the bottom of the main screen (if you're already in your return, select Tax Home in the left-hand menu first).
- If not already visible, select Show and then the year you're looking for.
- Then select Download/print return (PDF) or Download .tax file.
If you’re only looking to print or access a PDF version of a prior year return that you completed using TurboTax Software (CD/Download), and you saved a PDF version of that return when you originally completed the return, you can search for the PDF on your computer, thumb drive, etc.
To access a prior year return for a different reason (that is, access the full *.tax file - not a PDF, which is an image of your return), you’ll need the TurboTax software (CD/Download) from the year you completed the return. If you don’t have the original CD or download:
- If you originally purchased a CD, you can get a replacement CD (2016, 2015, 2014 or 2013 only).
- If you originally downloaded the TurboTax Software, you can re-download the software (2016, 2015, 2014 or 2013 only).
- Click the File menu in the upper left.
- Now select Print or Save to PDF, depending on what you want to do. There are other options in the File menu as well.