TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
4044 people found this useful

How do I pay for TurboTax Online so I can access my prior-year return?

First, we need to make sure you’re in the same account (same User ID) that you used when you filed your prior-year (2015 or earlier) return. TurboTax stores all of your prior tax returns in one place, but only if you use the same account to file each year.    

Complete these steps first to validate you are in the correct account

1. Go back into TurboTax, then select My TurboTax in the upper left, and click/tap My Tax Timeline.
  2. On the line that says Looking for prior year returns? click Load my tax timeline.
  3. If you see entries for prior years, click on the arrow (>) next to the tax year you’re looking for. Make sure it says Filed next to the return you are looking for to ensure you are accessing your final filed return. (It will show your federal return and any state return/s you have.) If it says Filed, great! Your prior year returns are in those tabs. 

4. Now to access these return/s (download or print it) and all your other prior year returns, you’ll need to first pay for TurboTax. 
    • See below for payment instructions.

If you don’t see the year you’re looking for, or it doesn’t say ‘Filed’ next to the return, STOP – and click here to read this full note

This means you didn’t file a return for that year in this account.

Let’s get you into the right account, so you can access all of your prior year returns.

After you locate your account, go ahead and return here and then follow the Payment Instructions below.

Follow these instructions to pay for TurboTax:

1. Go back into your TurboTax account, scroll over My TurboTax and click on My Tax Timeline.
  2. Click on the orange Take me to my return button, and go past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
  3. Click File in the upper-right corner.
  4. Click Start next to Review your order and follow the directions to submit payment.
    • Select the credit/debit card option – not the option to deduct the fee from your refund.
  5. After submitting payment, click Tax Timeline near the top of your screen.
  6. Finally, click Download/print return (PDF) for the tax year you want.

GEN88429