TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
8986 people found this useful

How do I upgrade to PLUS in TurboTax Online?

To access your prior-year (2015 or earlier) return or begin using My Docs, follow these instructions to add and pay for PLUS on your Federal Free Edition return:

First, we need to make sure you’re in the same account (same User ID) that you used when you filed your prior-year (2015 or earlier) return. TurboTax stores all of your prior tax returns in one place, but only if you use the same account to file each year.    

Complete these steps first to validate you are in the correct account:

1. Go back into TurboTax, then select My TurboTax in the upper left, and click/tap My Tax Timeline.
  2. On the line that says Looking for prior year returns? click Load my tax timeline.
  3. If you see entries for prior years, click on the arrow (>) next to the tax year you’re looking for. Make sure it says Filed next to the return you are looking for to ensure you have a final filed return. (It will show your federal return and any state return/s you have.) If it says Filed, great! Your prior year returns are in those tabs. 

4. Now to access these return/s (download or print them), as well as gain access to My Docs and the other features of PLUS, you’ll need to first pay for TurboTax. 
    • See below for payment instructions depending on which version of TurboTax you're using. 

If you don’t see the year you’re looking for, or it doesn’t say ‘Filed’ next to the return, STOP – and click here to read this full note.

This means you didn’t file a return for that year in this account.

Let’s get you into the right account, so you can access all of your prior year returns.

After you locate your account, go ahead and return here and follow the Payment Instructions below.

Here's how to pay for PLUS

1. Go back into your TurboTax account, scroll over My TurboTax and click on My Tax Timeline.
  2. Click the orange Take me to my return button, and go past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
  3. Click Upgrade near the top.
  4. Select PLUS More Help & Tools, then click Upgrade Now.
  5. After confirming the upgrade, click File in the upper-right corner. (You might be asked to provide a little more info before you can proceed to the File section. Once you've provided that info, go back to File.)
  6. Click Start next to Review your order and follow the instructions to submit payment. (Be sure to select the credit/debit card option, as opposed to deducting the fee from your refund.)
  7. After submitting payment, you now have PLUS and can begin using its features.
  8. If you're looking for a prior year return, click Tax Timeline near the top of your screen, and then click Download/print return (PDF) for the tax year you want.

GEN88428