How do I apply my refund to next year's taxes?
You can apply part (or all) of this year's tax refund to next year's taxes. When you come back to do your taxes next year, the amount you applied will show up as a credit.
Tip: If you pay quarterly estimated taxes, apply a portion your refund to next year's first-quarter estimated tax payment, which is due April 18. This can help prevent underpayment penalties on next year's return.
- Open (continue) your return, if you don't already have it open.
- Tap the red Turbotax checkmark on the upper left side of the screen.
- Under the Federal Taxes option (or Personal if using Home & Business) tap Other Tax Situations.
- On the Other Tax Situations screen, tap on Apply Refund to Next Year.
- Select the first option (apply all or part of it) when asked how you want us to handle your 2016 refund and swipe right to continue.
- Enter the amount you want to apply and proceed.