What can’t the IRS help me with?
Nobody likes to wait on hold forever, only to find out that the person on the other end can't handle their request. Don’t call the IRS:
- To get the status of your e-filed return (find out how to get your status).
- To get the status of your refund, unless it's been more than 21 days since you e-filed, more than 6 weeks after you mailed your return, or the IRS Where's My Refund service specifically asks you to contact them.
- To get the status of your amendment, unless it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amendment, or the IRS’s Where's My Amended Return service specifically asks you to contact them.
- To order a copy of your return (follow these instructions).
- If you have problems with or questions about your TurboTax program (contact us instead).
- If you have questions about your state return, unless your state tax department told you to contact the IRS.