2015 Tennessee: Exemption Amounts
Any Tennessee resident 65 years of age or older who had total income from all sources of $37,000 (or $68,000 if married filing jointly) or less is completely exempt from Tennessee state tax.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted:
- You filed your Tennessee state tax return prior to February 25, 2016 AND
- You or your spouse was at least 65 years old, AND
- Your total income was $37,000 ($68,000 if MFJ) or less AND
- You paid taxes with your Tennessee state tax return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.