2015 New York: Nonresident 529 College Plan
New York allows residents and part-year residents deductions for contributions to a 529 college savings program.
Certain nonresident New York taxpayers, who had contributions to/withdrawals from a 529 college savings program, may have filed an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted:
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your New York State Nonresident tax return prior to June 2, 2016 AND
- You entered in interview amounts for New York’s 529 college savings program’s contributions and/or withdrawals
If you are affected, you may have overpaid/underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your New York state return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to e-file and/or mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about: 2015 New York: Nonresident 529 College Plan.