2015 California: Home Office Expense Carryover
California allows home office expense, casualty loss and depreciation carryovers from prior years.
Certain taxpayers, who had carryovers due to excess home office expenses, casualty losses and/or depreciation, may have filed an incorrect California tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted:
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your California state tax return prior to August 4, 2016 AND
- You had home office expense carryovers on your federal Form 8829, Line 24 AND/OR
- You had depreciation and/or casualty expense carryovers on your federal Form 8829 Line 30 AND
- Those amounts do not appear on your California Form 8829, Lines 24 and/or Line 30.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your California state tax return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about: 2015 California: Home Office Expense Carryover.