TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

2013 Alabama: Foreign Source Income

There was an error in TurboTax that may have affected your 2013 Alabama state tax return. TurboTax is working with the Alabama Department of Revenue and if your return is affected, you will receive a letter in the mail from the Department and an email from TurboTax.

Calculations, relating to Alabama returns with foreign source earned income, were incorrect. Intuit takes responsibility for the accuracy of our tax products. We fixed these calculations and want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.

Foreign source earned income may be excluded from income on a federal return under certain situations. Alabama requires taxpayers to include foreign source earned income on their Alabama return unless this income was excluded on the federal return.

Because of this error, certain taxpayers filed an incorrect state tax return. The foreign source earned income should have been included on the Alabama return and was not.


Do I need to amend my Alabama return?

You must amend your Alabama return if ALL of the following apply to you:

  • Your filing status was Married Filing Joint AND
  • Your spouse had foreign source income earned in 2013 AND
  • That foreign source income was not eligible for the foreign exclusion on your federal return AND
  • That amount was not included on your Alabama Form 40, Part I, Line 8 (Other Income).

If you are affected, you have underpaid your state tax. You must amend your Alabama state tax return.

How do I amend my Alabama return?

To amend your return:

  • Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
  • Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return and pay any additional taxes that may be due.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.