2015 Alabama: Home Office Deduction
There was an error in TurboTax that may have affected your 2015 Alabama state tax return. TurboTax is working with the Alabama Department of Revenue and if your return is affected, you will receive a letter in the mail from the Department and an email from TurboTax.
Calculations relating to Alabama home office expense deduction were incorrect. Intuit takes responsibility for the accuracy of our tax products. We fixed these calculations and want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
Because of this error, certain taxpayers filed an incorrect state tax return. The federal 1040 return may limit the deduction of home office expenses and any amount not allowed is carried over to next year’s tax return. Alabama does not limit these expenses. Your Alabama return may not have the correct home office deduction.
Do I need to amend my Alabama return?
You must amend your Alabama return if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Alabama tax return prior to August 11, 2016 AND
- Your 2015 federal 1040 return includes a Schedule C with home office expenses AND
- Your 2015 federal Form 8829, line 42 and/or 43 include home office expenses not allowed for 2015 and carried over to 2016.
If you are affected, you have overpaid your state tax. You must amend your Alabama state tax return.
How do I amend my Alabama return?
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- If you used the TurboTax Online product but need to amend after TurboTax Online has closed for the season, please follow these instructions to install the TurboTax CD Download product to your computer.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.