TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

2014 Alabama: Self-Employment Tax Deduction

There was an error in TurboTax that may have affected your 2014 Alabama state tax return. TurboTax is working with the Alabama Department of Revenue and if your return is affected, you will receive a letter in the mail from the Department and an email from TurboTax.

Calculations relating to an Alabama federal self-employment tax deduction were incorrect. Intuit takes responsibility for the accuracy of our tax products. We fixed these calculations and want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.

Because of this error, certain taxpayers filed an incorrect state tax return. Alabama allows a deduction for federal self-employment taxes paid in 2014. This deduction amount may have been doubled on your Alabama return.

Do I need to amend my Alabama return?

You must amend your Alabama return if ALL of the following apply to you:

  • You used TurboTax for your 2013 federal tax return AND
  • Your 2013 federal return included self-employment tax on Form 1040, line 56 AND
  • In TurboTax, you entered an amount for self-employment taxes paid in prior years for your 2014 Alabama tax return.

If you are affected, you have underpaid your state tax. You must amend your Alabama state tax return.

How do I amend my Alabama return?

To amend your return:

  • Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
  • Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return and pay any additional taxes that may be due.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.

If you have any questions or need assistance in amending your Alabama return, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax. Tell the representative you’re calling about 2014 Alabama: Self-Employment Tax Deduction.