2015 Alabama: Self-Employment Tax Deduction
There was an error in TurboTax that affected your 2015 Alabama state tax return. TurboTax is working with the Alabama Department of Revenue and if your return is affected, you will receive a letter in the mail from the Department and an email from TurboTax.
Calculations relating to an Alabama federal self-employment tax deduction were incorrect. Intuit takes responsibility for the accuracy of our tax products. We fixed these calculations and want to make sure your return is complete and accurate.
Because of this error, certain taxpayers filed an incorrect state tax return. Alabama allows a deduction for federal self-employment taxes paid in 2015. This deduction amount may have been doubled on your Alabama return.
Do I need to amend my Alabama return?
You must amend your Alabama return if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Alabama tax return prior to July 28, 2016 AND
- You used TurboTax for your 2014 federal return AND
- Your 2014 federal return included self-employment tax on Form 1040, line 57 AND
- In TurboTax, you entered an amount for self-employment taxes paid in prior years for your 2015 Alabama tax return.
How do I amend my Alabama return?
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- If you used the TurboTax Online product but need to amend after TurboTax Online has closed for the season, please follow these instructions to install the TurboTax CD Download product to your computer.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.