TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1 person found this useful

2015 Michigan: Homestead Property Tax Credit

Michigan's Homestead Property Tax Credit is a credit for certain qualified Michigan homeowners and renters with household income of $50,000 or less.

Certain taxpayers, who owned property AND paid rent all year for their home, may have an incorrect Michigan tax return.


Do I need to amend my Michigan return?

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your Michigan tax return prior to June 23, 2016 AND
  • You paid property taxes on your main home AND
  • You indicated you paid rent for 12 months on a different home you lived in.

If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Michigan state return.


How do I amend my Michigan return?

To amend your return:

  • Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
  • Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.

If you need help in amending your return, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2015 Michigan: Homestead Property Tax Credit.