2015 Montana: Medical premiums
In Montana, if you pay medical insurance premiums for coverage for yourself and your family, you may be eligible to deduct 100% of those premiums on your Montana tax return.
Certain Montana taxpayers, who paid medical insurance premiums through a health insurance marketplace, may have filed an incorrect state tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Montana state tax return prior to April 28, 2016 AND
- You paid medical insurance premiums for yourself and/or your family through a health insurance marketplace AND
- You received a 1095-A with medical premiums AND
- That amount is not included on Montana Form 2, page 6, Schedule III, Line 5, Medical Insurance Premiums.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2015 Montana return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about 2015 Montana: Medical premiums