TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
31 people found this useful

Can I deduct my Medicare premiums as Self-Employed Health insurance deduction?

Yes, if you are self-employed and eligible for the self-employed health insurance deduction, you can include your Medicare premiums in your self-employed health insurance deduction. It's a deduction on the front page of the 1040, line 29.  

If you want these premiums to be part of the self-employed health insurance deduction, do not enter your Medicare premiums when entering the information from your SSA-1099 (Social Security Benefits). When you go through the questions for your business expenses, enter those premium expenses for self-employed health insurance premiums.

When would't I be eligible for the self-employed health insurance premium?

If you or your spouse could participate (even if you declined coverage) in an employer's health plan at any time during a given month, you can't take the deduction for that month. However, payments for those months are deductible on Schedule A if you itemize deductions.

What if I don't have a profit on my Schedule C?

If you don't have a profit on your Schedule C, you won't get the self-employed health insurance deduction.  Remove your Medicare premiums from your Schedule C and enter them with your Social Security information. We'll transfer the amounts to your Schedule A, medical expenses. 

GEN87741