I live in Georgia but work in South Carolina.Georgia requires that i mail in my Georgia return. Do I need to send a copy of the federal&South Carolina return with it?

My wife and I both live in Georgia but had to file state returns for South Carolina.  Because of this situation, turbotax stated that i had to mail in my state return for Georgia.  Do i need to include my federal and South Carolina return when I mail the Georgia return to Georgia?

Answer

Yes If you claim a credit for taxes paid to another state, you must submit a copy of your return with the other state.

Here are the rules for supporting documents:

1. The amount on Form 500 Line 8 is $40,000 or more, or less than the total income on your W-2's - submit a copy of pages 1 and 2 of your Federal return.

2. You itemize deductions - submit a copy of Federal Form 1040 Schedule A.

3. You claim the Georgia child and dependent care expense credit - submit the appropriate Federal child care credit schedule.

4. You claim a credit for taxes paid to another state(s) - submit a copy of your return filed with the other state(s).

In addition submit copies of your W-2's and 1099's (only if Georgia taxes were withheld)

I believe that covers everything, although many of the items may not apply to you. If a taxpayer forgets something, the Georgia Department of Revenue will send a letter asking for the missing item or items if they think they need them.

If #1 applies Turbotax automatically prints out pages 1 and 2 of your 1040 when printing the Georgia return.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
Rising Star

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default