TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
19 people found this useful

How do I find a stock's cost basis if I don't know when it was purchased?

Start by looking through your paperwork for anything that might trigger your memory of when you purchased or received the stock. This could be the actual stock certificate, an old tax return with dividend or other pertinent details, or some event that would have coincided with the stock's purchase, for example a Christmas bonus or other unexpected windfall.

Then, try to narrow it down to a date or a date range. Once you have that, follow these instructions locate historical prices.

If your best estimate is a date range rather than a specific date, use the historical prices at the start date and end date of that timeframe to come up with an average stock price for that time period. Make sure you keep a record of your calculation in case the IRS wants to know how you came up with the cost basis.

GEN87708