TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
8 people found this useful

Can I claim an education credit if my former spouse pays tuition, but the student is my dependent?

You are allowed to take an education credit for education expenses paid by someone else as long as your dependents are claimed as exemptions on your tax return.

If they are not claimed on your tax return, then your dependent must claim the education credits.