California: Form 540 is selected in TurboTax Online instead of Form 540NR
We are aware of an issue that impacts some customers who are using TurboTax Online and trying to file a California Form 540NR, however, the CA Form 540 is being used instead. You may be impacted if to meet the following scenario:
- You are using TurboTax Online
- You were a nonresident of California in 2015
- You need to file a Form 540NR, however, TurboTax is generating a Form 540 instead
This situation is overstating your tax liability for California.
How can I tell if this affects me?
If you were a California nonresident in 2015 and you should be filing Form 540NR, follow these steps to determine the form TurboTax has generated.
If you have not paid and filed your return:
- Log into your TurboTax Online return.
- Click on Take me to my return.
- Once in your return, click on My Account, then Tools.
- Select Delete a form.
- In the Review Form List, scroll to the California Return section and confirm the form listed.
If you have paid for and filed your return:
- Print your tax return from the Timeline
- Locate your California return and confirm what form is included.
If after following the steps above you confirmed that TurboTax generated the incorrect form you will need to use the TurboTax Desktop product in order to resolve this issue. Those steps will be included in the Using TurboTax Desktop section below. Some things to keep in mind:
- If you have already filed your Federal return using TurboTax Online, you will need to print and mail your California return.
- If you have already filed your California return using TurboTax Online, you will need to amend your California return before using the steps provided in the Using TurboTax Desktop section.
Using TurboTax Desktop
Use the following steps to download TurboTax Desktop and manually select the California Form 540NR.
Using TurboTax Online:
- Purchase TurboTax Desktop. Did you already pay for TurboTax Online? If so, contact us.
- Download and install TurboTax and [STATE - if needed].
- Save your .tax2015 tax file from TurboTax Online.
- Next, skip to step 1 of the Using TurboTax Desktop section below.
Using TurboTax Desktop:
- Open your tax return and go to Forms Mode.
- In the list of forms, locate the California Information Worksheet.
- Under Part II—Main Form, check the box next to the Form 540NR-Nonresident of Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return.
- Once done, go back through the interview and go back through your California return before filing.
Reminder: If you have already filed your California return using TurboTax Online, you will need to amend your California return.