MSI Wrapper Error while Installing TurboTax for Windows
Some TurboTax customers are receiving a MSI Wrapper Error while installing TurboTax for Windows. This may also be called Windows Installer Error 5.
If you're using Windows 10, try this solution:
- Right Click your taskbar and select “Task manager”
- Look for “Intuit update service” in the process tab and end process.
- Switch to the Details tab and look for "MSIexec.exe" and end process on all instances showing.
- Try to install Turbotax 2015 again.
Try the following steps to resolve this issue:
- Check for and install any available Windows Updates.
- Try this Microsoft Fix-It Tool.
- If you are using Windows XP or Vista, try reinstalling Windows Installer.
If after performing these steps, you are still experiencing an issue, please try the following:
- Ensure you can view hidden files and folders.
- Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft.
- Rename the Crypto folder to CryptoOld. (If it does not allow you to rename, create a new folder called CryptoOld and copy the contents of the current Crypto folder to the CryptoOld folder you just created.)
- Try installing TurboTax again.