TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
63 people found this useful

I'm on my parents' 1095-A form. What do I do on my return?

If you're listed as a dependent on your parents’ tax return, you won't have any health insurance questions to answer on your own return. TurboTax will tell you "Since someone is claiming you on their 2016 taxes, you don't have to complete Health Insurance.”

I'm on parents' health plan but not on their tax return, and I got my own 1095-A

At enrollment, your parents told the Marketplace that you aren't on their return. That’s why you received your own 1095-A - to enter its information on your return.

When TurboTax asks you if you are sharing your health plan, don’t check the box.

I'm on my parents' health plan but not on their tax return, I didn't get a 1095-A and there are amounts in column C on my parents' 1095-A

In this case, TurboTax will ask you to enter a 1095-A. You'll enter the information from your parents' 1095-A. The next screen will ask you about your health plan being shared, so check the box.  

Then you'll see a screen asking for shared policy information. You enter the following:

•  Enter the social security number in box 5 (recipient's SSN) on your parents' 1095-A 
  •  Enter the starting month and ending month that you had the insurance  

Now you'll be asked to enter percentages for Your Premium, Second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) and advanced payment.

You should see amounts on your parents’ 1095-A, column A, B, and C. You and your parents should agree on what percentage of those amounts you’ll claim on your return, and what percentage they’ll claim on theirs. You can use anything from zero to 100 percent, as long it all adds up to 100 percent.

Example: Nate is working and not on his parents' tax return. He is on their Marketplace health plan and listed on their 1095-A. He didn't receive a 1095-A in his name.

He and his parents have to figure out how much of column A (monthly enrollment premiums), column B (monthly SLCSP) and column C (advanced payments) on their 1095-A will go on their return and Nate's return. They decided that Nate will enter 10% of those amounts on his return and his parents will enter 90% on their return. They could have decided to have 100% on the parents' return and zero percentage on Nate's return.

I'm on parents' health plan but not on their tax return, didn't get a 1095-A and there are no amounts on the column C of my parents' 1095-A

Since you are on your parents' 1095-A and it has no amounts in column C, but it does have amounts in column B, follow these guidelines:

TurboTax will ask you to enter a 1095-A. You'll enter the information from your parent's 1095-A. The next screen will ask you about your health plan being shared, so check the box.

Now you'll be asked to enter percentages. Your parents' 1095-A includes amounts in column B (SLCSP). You need to figure out your share of the total of your parents' column B. 

Go to a tax tool on HealthCare.gov and click on "Figure out your premium tax credit". Just enter your birthdate, zip code, and number of months that you were covered by your parents' insurance. You'll see your SLCSP. Then divide your SLCSP by the total of your SLCSP on your parents' 1095-A. That's the percentage you'll enter in TurboTax. 

Example: Jon is enrolled in his parents' Marketplace plan. They didn't receive any advance payment so the Column C on their 1095-A is blank or zero. For TurboTax, Jon needs to figure out how much is his share of the total SLCSP.  

He goes to HealthCare.gov and enters his age, zip code and 12 months that he was enrolled. The result is $6,000. The total of column B amounts on his parents' 1095-A is $18,000. Jon takes his $6,000 and divides it by the $18,000. It equals 33% - his percentage. He enters that amount for Your Premium Percentage and Your SLCSP percentage in TurboTax.

I'm on parents' health plan, but not on their tax return, didn't get a 1095-A and there are no amounts on the column B or C of my parents' 1095-A

If you are on your parents' 1095-A and it has no amounts in column B and C, follow these guidelines:

TurboTax will ask you to enter a 1095-A. You'll enter the information from your parents' 1095-A.

TurboTax needs the amounts in column B to figure out if you and your parents are eligible for a Premium Tax Credit.

Your parents need to use the tax tool on HealthCare.gov to determine the monthly SLCSP amounts for everyone listed on their 1095-A. You’ll enter those monthly amounts in column B of the 1095-A that you are filling out. 

The next TurboTax screen will ask if you shared your health plan, so check the box.

Then you'll see a screen asking for shared policy information. You’ll enter the following:

• Enter the social security number in box 5 (recipient's SSN) on your parents' 1095-A
  • Enter the start month and stop month that you had the insurance

Now you'll be asked to enter percentages. You need to figure out your share of the SLCSP amounts that you entered on the prior screen.

Go to a tax tool on HealthCare.gov and click on "Figure out your premium tax credit". Just enter your birthdate, zip code, and number of months that you were covered by your parents' insurance. You will see your SLCSP.

Divide your SLCSP by the total of column B (SLCSP) on your parents' 1095-A. That's the percentage you'll enter on the Premium Percentage and Your SLCSP percentage fields.

Example: Jon is enrolled in his parents' Marketplace plan. They didn't receive any advance payments so the column C on their 1095-A is blank or zero. Also, there are no amounts on the Column B (SLCSP). TurboTax needs Jon’s parents to figure out the total SLCSP for the family by going to HealthCare.gov. It’s $18,000. Jon will enter the monthly amounts on his 1095-A screen.

Now Jon needs to go to HealthCare.gov and get his SLCSP. He enters his age, zip code and the number of months he was enrolled in his parents’ plan. The result is $6,000. Jon takes his $6,000 and divides it by the $18,000. It equals 33% - his percentage. He enters that amount for Your Premium Percentage and Your SLCSP Percentage.

GEN87619