Error Code 65535: "Unexpected error"
Error 65535: Unexpected error is a generic TurboTax for Windows installation error with multiple causes.
Best method to resolve:
- Close the error window and try to re-install.
- If re-installation doesn't work, then restart the machine and then try to re-install again.
If that didn't help, try the following steps:
If you are experiencing this issue while installing from a TurboTax CD, then click here to download and run our fix-it tool. If not, try the next solutions.
If you're using Windows 10, try this solution:
- Right Click your taskbar and select “Task manager”
- Look for “Intuit update service” in the process tab and end process.
- Switch to the "Details" tab and look for "MSIexec.exe". End task on all of them that are still running. There may be more than one.
- Try to install TurboTax from the CD again.
Windows 8 and 10: Start with the Windows 7/Vista/XP solutions below. If none of those solutions work, take the following steps:
- Right-click the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager
- If the task manager does not have tabs in it, select More details
- Select the Services tab and make sure the status next to msiserver is not Running
- If the status says Running then it means Windows is currently installing something, such as Windows Updates or another program. Please make sure the other installation finishes and the msiserver status is Stopped before attempting to install TurboTax.
Windows 7 or Windows Vista: Try right-clicking the TurboTax icon and select Run as Administrator.
If that didn't help, or if you're using Windows XP, follow these steps:
- Log on to your computer with Administrator rights.
- Temporarily disable your online backup or security software.
- Install (or update) TurboTax.
- Re-enable the backup or security software you disabled in Step 2.
However, if you continue to receive this error while installing TurboTax after following the instructions in the solution, there are other issues with your system that are causing this error. See Troubleshoot Installing and Running TurboTax for further troubleshooting steps.
If the problem is occurring while attempting to update through TurboTax, download and install a manual update instead.
If the above solutions don't resolve the error, please follow the link below to restart into Selective Startup to install the program.