Must I pay tax in New Hampshire on distributions from my Massachusetts S corporation?

I am a resident of New Hampshire and the sole owner of an S corporation incorporated in Massachusetts. I am paid a salary and file a Massachusetts nonresident tax return on which I also report and pay tax on the profit earned by the corporation, which of course I also do on my federal return. I regularly take cash distributions from the previously-taxed retained earnings. Am I obligated to pay tax again in New Hampshire for those distributions, or are they perhaps non-taxable in New Hampshire under reason code 10?

Answer

There are a few states that do not recognize the federal S election with New Hampshire as one of those. 

S corporation distributions to resident owners are reported as dividends and subject to interest and dividend tax.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default