How do I file my state return after I have e-filed my federal?
If your federal return has been accepted you can e-file your state return after your federal return. This option is not available if your federal return was (or will be) paper-filed.
If you e-filed your federal return as Married Filing Jointly but want to file your state returns as Married Filing Separately, only one state return can be e-filed. The other will have to be paper-filed.
- Login to your TurboTax account.
- In the Welcome Home box, click Visit My Tax Timeline at the bottom.
- In the SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section, click Add a state.
- Click on the State Taxes tab.
- Click Continue to start or complete your state taxes.
- Click Done with State.
- Continue through the flow to review and file your state taxes.
- Open your return.
- Click on State Taxes tab.
- Follow on screen prompts and continue through the flow to review and file your state taxes.