TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
130 people found this useful

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

Although you can e-file your federal and state taxes together, if you choose to e-file your federal first, you'll have to wait until that return has been accepted before you can e-file your state.

If your federal hasn't been accepted, or you paper-filed it, you won't be able to e-file your state but you can always print and mail a conventional paper return.

Married filers: If you e-filed your federal using the joint married status, but you want to e-file your state returns separately, only one of you will be able to e-file. The other must paper-file their state return.

TurboTax Online

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2018.
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return).
  4. Select State from the menu on the left (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

TurboTax CD/Download software

With your return open, click the State Taxes tab near the top. This will take you to the state section and you can proceed from there.

GEN87613
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L1utGncEc_US_en_US