The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2015
The IRS usually wants you to send them a copy of your 1095-A, the form 8962 and the "newly computed" page two of a form 1040 or 1040A which shows the change(s) to your return. This letter is numbered LTR 12C (see upper right corner.) Be sure to read the details of your letter. For more information, see Understanding Your Letter 0012C.
We'll take you through some of the TurboTax screens so you can answer a few questions and enter information from your 1095-A. When you do, TurboTax will fill out an 8962 and a "newly computed" page for you to submit to the IRS.
You will not be completing and sending a Form 1040X (an amended tax return) to the IRS; you will only print out the requested forms.
TurboTax Online for 2015 is no longer available, so you'll need to download the software and your tax file to your computer.
- Sign in to TurboTax with the same login you used when you filed your 2015 return.
- Select Load My Tax Timeline in the lower right corner.
- Scroll down to 2015, select it, and then Amend (change) return.
- Select download your .tax file and save the file to your desktop or other easy-to-find location. Don't try to open it yet.
- Next, visit Download TurboTax Desktop. Here you can download the 2015 Windows software. (If you need the Mac software, please contact us for the download.)
- Install the software. Windows instructions | Mac instructions
Once you've installed the software, follow the Steps for TurboTax CD/Download Users.
Follow these steps (or download and print this PDF which contains helpful screenshots):
- Open your return and select File (upper left hand corner).
- Choose Save as, enter a new name for your return, and click Save.
- Click on the Federal Taxes tab and then the Health Insurance tab.
- Answer the questions about your health coverage.
- On the That’s all we need on your 2015 coverage screen, click Done with Health.
- Select FILE tab (top of screen) and choose Print/Save for your records.
- On the Print and Save your Tax Return screen, click on Print to print the forms you need.
- Select Specific Forms.
- In the screen on the right, check boxes for Form 8962 and either Form 1040 or 1040A and then print them
- Mail the following to the IRS address on your IRS letter:
- Form 1040 or 1040A – make sure to sign and date Page 2 of the Form 1040 or 1040A
Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit;
Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.
A copy of the IRS letter that you received.