TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
168 people found this useful

Where do I enter a capital gain or loss?

Capital gains, losses, and 1099-B forms are all entered in the same place:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for investment sales and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell any investments?
    • If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, click Add More Sales.
  4. Continue following the onscreen instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

Your total capital gains for the year minus your total capital losses result in a net gain or a net loss.

You can deduct a net loss of up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately). Any capital loss you couldn't deduct this year can be carried forward and deducted on future tax returns as a capital loss carryover.