How do I amend my 2016 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?
Important: Make sure you have saved a copy of your original 2016 return either in pdf format or a paper copy before you start to amend.
If you do not have an original copy saved as a pdf or printed out, you will want to start the TurboTax program and you'll choose not to take any latest updates. This will help ensure that you will be opening your tax return as originally filed. Now print out or save a copy of your return as a pdf.
Then, follow these instructions to amend:
- Open the return you want to amend in your TurboTax software program. Do not update yet.
- Make sure your return is exactly as it was when you originally filed it.
- If you made any changes after you filed or mailed, undo them. We suggest comparing your onscreen numbers with a paper copy of your filed return.
- Now, make a copy your return by selecting Save As (or Duplicate in Mac) from the File menu.
- You'll be renaming and amending this copy. This preserves your original return "as is," in case you make an error on the amendment and need to start again.
- Rename the amended copy (e.g., JDoeAmended, 2016 Amended Return, etc.) before you click Save.
- You will now need to update your software. Select the Online tab at the top of your program and select Check for Updates.
- In the Search a topic or ask a question.. bar, type amend, then click Find or press return on your keyboard.
- Click on the Jump to amend link in the search results.
- Carefully follow the on-screen instructions to amend your 2016 return.
- Note: Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0 and does strange things while you're amending; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
- Continue following the onscreen instructions to amend.
- When finished, TurboTax will give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.
3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.