TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
634 people found this useful

How do I enter a 1099-C?

If your debt is cancelled or forgiven, you'll receive Form 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt).

Most of the time, cancelled debt is taxable, but there are exclusions and exceptions. We'll check for those after you've entered your 1099-C.

Note: If you received a 1099-C for your main home and another 1099-C for something else (credit card, car loan, second mortgage, etc.) you won't be able to use TurboTax, as the interview doesn't support this.

To enter your 1099-C:

  1. Open (continue) your return, if it's not already open.
  2. In the TurboTax program, search for 1099-C or 1099C (lower-case also works) and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Select the type of cancelled debt (main home or other) and then click or tap Continue.
    • If using Free Edition, follow the prompts to upgrade to Deluxe.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter information from your 1099-C.