Utah: Error during Review "Form TC-40W: Payer ID must end with WTH"
The following error can occur on the Utah state return:
"Form TC-40W: Payer ID must end with WTH, you must go back to federal W-2 or 1099 to update your state withholding ID."
Utah's format of the employer/payer's state ID number is 14 characters long - 11 digits followed by "WTH". The forms where the ID can be entered on your tax return are the following:
- W-2 - Wage and Tax Statement
- W-2G - Gambling Winnings
- 1099-R - Distribution from pensions, retirement plans, IRAs
- 1099-MISC - Miscellaneous Income
- 1099-G - Unemployment and certain government payments
Steps to Fix
If you experience this error, please do the following:
- Review all forms where the Utah employer/payer's state ID is entered. The list is included above.
- Even if the state ID is entered correctly on those forms, delete the employer/payer ID from the field, then click Continue from that screen.
- Make sure you write down the employer/payer ID or have your forms (W-2, 1099) handy so you can re-enter the ID.
- On the following screen click Back and re-enter the employer/payer ID.
- Once done, go back through the Review section to check for errors.
Note: If you have a form W-2 or 1099 where the employer/payer ID format is less than 14 characters and does not end with "WTH", you will need to contact the employer or payer to obtain the correct number.