Can I deduct travel and/or living expenses if I work in one state (with and apt) but my main home is in another? My family lives in my main home.

I work full time in Massachusetts and maintain an apt. My main home is in Delaware. My family lives in our main home. I travel home nearly every weekend. Can I deduct any travel or living expenses?

Answer

1 person found this helpful

You can only deduct travel and living expenses if you are travelling to a temporary assignment or job site. Otherwise, your regular place of business (where you earn your money) is considered your "tax home" and you can't deduct travel to and from your tax home to your actual home.

You must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work. If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise. An assignment or job that is initially temporary may become indefinite due to changed circumstances. A series of assignments to the same location, all for short periods but that together cover a long period, may be considered an indefinite assignment.

Please see this link for more information:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100033764

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TurboTax Lead

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community
Default