TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
13 people found this useful

E-file rejection IND-510: Spouse SSN in the Return must not be equal to the Primary SSN on another tax return

A return that was rejected with Spouse SSN in the Return must not be equal to the Primary SSN on another tax return (IND-510) occurs when the spouse's Social Security number has already been used on another return.


If your spouse already filed his or her own return, remove them from your return:

  1. Open your return and click Personal Info.
  2. On the summary screen, click Edit next to Marital Status.
    • In the TurboTax software, edit the Filing Status section, check the Change my filing status box, and choose a different filing status. Then skip to Step 4.
  3. Answer No to the question Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?
  4. Continue, answering any questions that come up, until you're back at the summary screen.
  5. Go through the Review section to make sure you return's good to go, then the File section to resubmit your return.

What if my spouse didn't file their own return?

Go back to the Personal Info section and double-check your spouse's Social Security number. If it's wrong, correct it and then go through the File section again to resubmit your return.

If you entered it correctly, it's likely that another taxpayer, inadvertently or otherwise, filed their return using your spouse's Social Security number.

We strongly recommend that you check our resources in this article - What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft. You can also click here for additional information at IRS.gov.

You won't be able to fix this rejection; you'll need to file a paper return.