Where do I enter job-related employee expenses? (Form 2106)
Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses) is used for employees' unreimbursed travel, meal, entertainment, and transportation expenses (including DOT per diem). Form 2106-EZ is a simplified version.
Tip: In most cases, the IRS won't let employees deduct commuting costs. More info
Here's where to enter your job-related expenses:
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if it's not already open.
- Online versions: Make sure you've gone past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
- In TurboTax, search for 2106 and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation, then click or tap Continue.
- If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen, you can select Add Another Occupation (to add another 2106), Edit (for an existing 2106), or Delete.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.