TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
589 people found this useful

Where do I enter job-related employee expenses? (Form 2106)

Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses) is used for employees' unreimbursed travel, meal, entertainment, and transportation expenses (including DOT per diem). Form 2106-EZ is a simplified version.

Tip: In most cases, the IRS won't let employees deduct commuting costs. More info

Here's where to enter your job-related expenses:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if it's not already open.
    • Online versions: Make sure you've gone past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
  2. In TurboTax, search for 2106 and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation, then click or tap Continue.
    • If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen, you can select Add Another Occupation (to add another 2106), Edit (for an existing 2106), or Delete.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.