2014 Massachusetts: Part year and Nonresident tax returns
If a taxpayer has Massachusetts source income prior to moving into or after moving out of Massachusetts, they may have to file a Resident/Nonresident Worksheet with their Massachusetts tax return to adjust/prorate income, deductions, exemptions and the earned income credit.
Certain taxpayers, who filed the Massachusetts’ Resident/Nonresident Worksheet, may have to amend their Massachusetts tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Massachusetts tax return prior February 26, 2015 AND
- You (and/or your spouse) were a MA part-year resident in 2014 AND
- You (and/or your spouse) also had MA source income during the time that you were a non-resident of MA in 2014 AND
- You (and/or your spouse) received two or more Form W-2s that included MA income
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Massachusetts return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Massachusetts: Part year and Nonresident tax returns.