2014 Maine: Itemized Deductions
Maine has a limit on the amount of itemized deductions allowed on the Maine tax return. Starting with 2014, this limitation no longer applies to medical and dental expenses included in the federal itemized deductions.
Certain taxpayers, who had deductible medical and dental expenses (over the 7 ½% or 10% limitation) on their federal return, may have filed an incorrect Maine tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your 2014 Maine tax return prior to January 30, 2015 AND
- You have an amount on Maine Schedule 2, Line 2e, Medical and Dental Expenses AND
- You do not have any amount on Maine Schedule 2, Line 7
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Maine return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Maine: Itemized Deductions