2014 Federal 1040: Sales Tax Deduction
Taxpayers can elect to deduct state and local income taxes OR state and local sales tax on their federal Schedule A as itemized deductions.
Certain taxpayers, who resided in Nevada and itemized deductions on their federal tax return, may have filed an incorrect federal tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed your federal tax return prior to 02/05/15 AND
- You were a resident or part-year resident of Nevada for 2014 AND
- You filed a federal Schedule A, Itemized Deductions AND
- In TurboTax, you did not enter the amount of sales tax you paid in 2014.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your federal tax. You may need to amend your federal return AND your state return if it’s affected.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended return.
- Your printed return(s) will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Federal 1040: Sales Tax Deduction.