2014 North Carolina: Retired Public Safety Officers
Retired public safety officers (such as law enforcement and firefighters) can elect to exclude the amount paid for health insurance premiums from their pension distributions.
Certain taxpayers, who made the above election, may have filed an incorrect North Carolina state tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your North Carolina state return prior to May 22, 2015 AND
- You are a retired public safety officer AND
- In TurboTax, you elected to exclude your health insurance premiums from your pension income AND
- Also in TurboTax, you indicated that this pension was excludable from North Carolina taxes under the Bailey’s retirement settlement.
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your North Carolina return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 North Carolina: Retired Public Safety Officers.