2014 Federal 1040: Foreign Tax Credit
If you paid foreign taxes, you may not need to file a federal Form 1116 to claim the foreign tax credit.
Certain customers, with a tax return that included a foreign tax credit and were not required to file a Form 1116, may have filed an incorrect federal tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed your Federal Form 1040 prior to March 19, 2015 AND
- You had an amount on Form 1040, Page 2, Line 48, foreign tax credit AND
- You had an amount on Form 1040, Page 2, Line 46, Excess advance premium tax credit repayment
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your federal income tax and you may need to amend your Federal return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended return.
- Your printed return(s) will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Federal 1040: Foreign Tax Credit.