2014 Massachusetts: Tax Exempt Interest and Dividends
Massachusetts does not tax the exempt interest or dividends derived from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or U.S. Territories.
Certain taxpayers, who received tax exempt interest and/or dividends from Massachusetts or U.S. Territories, may have filed an incorrect Massachusetts tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Massachusetts tax return prior to May 8, 2015 AND
- You had tax exempt interest and/or dividends from MA and/or US Territories AND
- You had additional exempt interest and/or dividends from other states AND
- The Massachusetts and/or US Territories tax exempt interest and dividends are not included on the MA Other Interest and Dividends Excluded Statement, line 4, (exempt portion of interest or dividends from a mutual fund.)
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Massachusetts return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Massachusetts: Tax Exempt Interest and Dividends.