2014 Montana: Tier 1 Railroad Retirement Benefits
Montana does not tax Tier 1 Railroad Retirement Benefits.
Certain taxpayers, who received Tier 1 Railroad Retirement Benefits on an RRB-1099, may have filed an incorrect Montana tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Montana state tax return prior to May 25, 2015 AND
- You received railroad retirement benefits on a RRB-1099 AND
- That amount was not included on Montana Form 2, Schedule 2, Line 22.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 Montana tax return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Montana: Tier 1 Railroad Retirement Benefits.